Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Today was full of motivation. Waking up at eight to go to an International Students lecture was SO not worth it. It was three hours long, but my group ended up leaving at around the midpoint. I walked over to the gym and got involved in my first pickup basketball game.

The three point line is further back. And the lane is much wider. I think that it is the same as European ball. It is definitely a big man's game here as no one really shoots from far at all. The kiwi players also use the glass from all angles and distance. However, the backboards are not glass at all, and the rims aren't orange. Everything is old school: Wood backboards, and strange rusty rims that are tilted up which makes it tough to shoot. They also play very robotic with no flair at all. I can see why Dave Hancock coaches the way he does. I definitely stood out as the most competent player on the floor as it is not a very popular sport here. I kind of play like Rajon Rondo here - mid range jumpers, mostly attacking the rim, but also lots of rebounds, assists, and steals.

Everyone here strives to be built like a Karsten Tindal/Zach Zosel hybrid. Rugby is the game of life. I am by far the skinniest person in the weight room every single time. The most odd part of the gym is that all the guys are lifting weights. Close to a 40:1 ratio to girls. All of the girls are on the cardio machines. Somewhere in the 10:1 ratio. After my workout it was about noon.

I came home and ate and did a little Yoga. AJ, a Kiwi that I might a few nights ago, came and picked me up to go to Flagstaff Summit. This is basically a mirror image the Spencer Butte in Eugene. For example, it is about 5 minutes outside of town and 3,000 feet up. I posted pictures on facebook of the hike. AJ is an awesome guy and he is working as a commercial entrepreneur as he called it. He basically listens to new ideas and tells the people at ground one whether to continue to try to be innovative. It was just the two of us so I definitely got a lot of isolated time to ask questions. I love learning all the Kiwi slang. I already know I am going to come back with some of it as well as a slight accent with certain diction. I learned today that Mcdonald's and every place with red meat is free range, that KIND OF entices me to try something. They keep their eggs on shelves, not refridgerated. They also only eat turkey on christmas and thanksgiving, so chicken is sliced in the deli.

I am looking forward to tonight because it is my Kiwi mate's birthday. Her name is Rebecca and I haven't even met her yet. We'll see where this leads....

PS: Cleo who is a great dog that I am friends with in the states is really sick and may need to be put down soon. I am praying for her. I hate hearing about sad things back home that I have no control over. If my dog Buddy dies while I am gone (which he may, he is old with lots of health problems), I don't want to know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment