Sunday, April 18, 2010

I am in Nadi (pronounced Nandi with a long A) which is the main island in Fiji where the airport is. You really go from third to developing to a first world nation in a matter of seconds here. I haven't really experienced anything like it before. The exchange rate is wonderful with the Fijian dollar worth about .5 of the USD.

I spent the first night in Nadi because the plane arrived to late to make it to the Yasawas where I'd stay for the following four evenings. The smaller islands are the paradise ones that everyone always sees pictures of and hears about. The word "Bula" is used more frequently than "like" in spoken English. It means hello, welcome, and general happiness. The sunset was gorgeous on the first evening and little did I know that I was just getting started.

Departing at 7:15 am towards Densaru Port, the sun was already scorching. Wearing sunscreen in Fiji is not an option. Even if you are trying to get a tan, you must coat it all over your body to avoid a third degree burn. The boat ride was 2.5 hours long to our first stop, Waya Lailai. I have never in my life seen such white sand, turquoise water. The shells on the beach were ones you would normally purchase at a store. I forgot to mention that in Nadi the police station was smaller than a dorm room. Everyone is so unbelieveably kind and welcoming that the crime rate must be near zero.

Waya Lailai was an amazing, once (well, hopefully more) in a lifetime experience. I felt like I was on a honeymoon alone. It was the kind of time that you really wish everyone you loved was with you. I slept in a straw hut just feet away from the beach, with a big bug net surrounding me at night. It was hotter than balls 24/7 and I was constantly sweating. I didn't shower because I would just jump in the ocean. There is no way to describe how warm the ocean is without feeling it for yourself. All I can say is, there really were some parts that the water was warmer than a bath. North of 100 degrees and I am not exaggerating.

75% of all earnings went to the local tribe on the Island. They are still living rather primitively but with obvious upgrades from centuries ago. 800-100 Fijians inhabit an island and live about 4 hours away via boat from the main land. For 26USD a night I had a place to sleep, and three thanksgiving size meals per day.

Anyone who wants to go to Fiji can ask me more questions, but I am far too exhausted to type anymore. Back to Dunedin

No comments:

Post a Comment