Saturday, April 3, 2010

Great Easter weekend celebrated in Melbourne. A lot of stuff was closed on Good Friday and today, Sunday, but the four days spent here were still filled with activities.

I went to bed early every night so I could wake up early and have complete days. Friday we walked around town in the morning and saw a ton of really cool graphite; it is legal here which I think is something the USA should embrace. Definitely one of the more unique types of art that is just seen as a crime. One alley-way was completely coated with an array of colors, designs, and styles. I could not have taken enough pictures. The Chinatown in Melbourne is really small, but cool nonetheless.

Friday was mostly about just walking around everywhere and getting a feel for the city. The architecture here is awesome. I especially liked the Train Station and all of the surrounding areas. Orange/Auburn building that has a clock tower and ancient kingdom feeling to it. We walked through an atrium and the ceiling was similar to a spiders web made out of steel or something. I won't be able to post any pictures until the end of the trip, but I hope everyone goes through them once they are up and available. Melbourne has a white Eiffel tower type building as well as some really distinct cathedrals. I know that I need to live in a big city for a good portion of my young life, if not a suburb of a big city during adulthood.

In the afternoon on Friday we took a tram to an area called St. Kilda. It was a hip area about twenty minutes outside of the city center that is famous for desserts. The twins and I each got a sweet treat (a strawberry crisp cake, a chocolate almond cake, and a custard danish) that we split three ways. Really could not have been any tastier. St. Kilda is right next to the beach so we took about a five mile walk along the beach until we found the perfect spot. We ate lunch, and then took a nice nap in the sun. I saw jellyfish along the way. I don't think I have seen any not in an aquarium before. The place that we stopped also had about 50 different small huts that were each individually colored and designed. I guess people pay millions to say that they own them.

I have been waking up early so I can go on a run everyday. It is so nice to see the city before it wakes up. I run up and down the main sidewalks that are generally packed with people. I still have to use my agility to dodge people, but I think that is fun. Running is the best way to cover a lot of ground in the city and explore on my own. I went by the river and to the botanical gardens and around the sky scrapers on my runs. I have been doing about 5-6 miles a day that usually takes no more than 45 minutes. I love that it is 75 degrees in the morning and the fresh air near the river is really motivating. After a long day at the beach the girls made Eggplant mozeralla and noodles with greens for dinner. We crashed hard.

Saturday was another early morning and we went back to Queen Victoria market to get fresh fruit and nuts to last us through our next city. We also bought fresh Turkish bread for lunch. I got a kangaroo steak just so I could say I have had it. It tasted like a gamey steak. I only had a bite or two because I don't eat red meat and didn't want to upset my stomach. For some reason, red meat just doesn't taste or sound good to me anymore. I gave the rest of it away and had eggplant again for lunch.

The afternoon was scorching. We went to an AFL (Australian Footy League) game. It is a combination of soccer, football, and rugby. It was much more entertaining for me than NZ rugby. The players are built like soccer players and they really get after it. There is a wide and a narrow field goal like post. If you make a catch in the red zone area you get a chance to kick it through the post, 6 points in the narrow, 1 point in the wide. You can also kick it during the action into the narrow post to get six points. A player is able to kick or punch the ball (shaped like a football/rugby ball) to their teammates and cannot run with it for more than fifteen steps. A lot of deep receptions reminded me of the NFL.

After the game we were starving and walked and trammed for at least an hour or two to little Italy or Lygon St. I was so hungry by the time my meal came that I had to refrain from practically drinking it. I ordered Salmone Spinach Fettucine with a wine cream sauce. It was so authentic. I don't think I've had italian food like that since New York City at my Global Young Leaders Conference, or the east coast trip with my dad, jo, chase, and hannah.

Speaking of which, Hannah messaged me something like "holy.shit.i.got.into.harvard." I could not possibly be more proud of my sister. She has worked her butt off and deserves it. I now have a great excuse to go to the east coast! And get sweet Harvard gear :-). I don't want to even try and compare myself to her. She is two years younger and already far superior as a reader, writer, in math, science, and probably the arts. Not just for her age, but in general. I can see why my parents have had a hard time getting her to do what they want. She isn't just a "know-it-all". She actually knows it all. Wisconsin, Illinois, Oregon, Harvard. Which one stands out? Its not hard to tell hahha. I love you Hannah, best of luck!

Today has been really low key because nothing is really open on Easter Sunday. I went for a run and then have just been reading in the sun and at the appartment. I also went to McCafe to get some things lined up for Brisbane/Gold Coast.

I leave tomorrow morning really early, but I will check in on my last day in Brisbane.

No comments:

Post a Comment