Saturday, April 10, 2010

Last day in Sydney. This is not my favorite city I've been to in Australia, that would go to Melbourne. It is however the most I have enjoyed myself by far. Every day has been filled with fun events.

The first day I arrived I walked around downtown (my hostel is centrally located). I went to the world famous Botanical Gardens and saw the government house, I purchased groceries for my stay here, and I walked by the Sydney Opera House. The weather was perfect and I was really happy to be exploring the city without any restraints. I figured out the public transportation system and met some really cool people at my hostel. In particular, a 22 year old named Andri from Switzerland who only speaks German.

We've been getting along really well together and have hung out the past few days. He is always asking me what things mean in English. I used his computer and it was really difficult to type with all the new characters and symbols in different places.

The first night I also met a 29 year old teacher from South Africa who lives in London. She has really traveled the world and was so passionate about her life. A very inspirational person. I love cooking intricate, expensive meals from scratch now for a quarter of the price. The kitchen at the hostel is great and has everything one would need.


The second day I went on a Sydney tour bus type thing that lasted from 7am-7pm. It was totally worth it. I got to cuddle koalas, go to an all-you-can-eat buffet (I took FULL advantage), hike in the Blue Mountains, and take a night Ferry across the cove to get a gorgeous view of the city and Opera House. I think that has been my favorite day so far on this trip. I ate some "Grain Waves" which are a thicker, healthier version of Sunchips and absolutely loved em.

The waterfalls at Blue Mountains were gorgeous. They have that name because when the Eucalyptus gets hot from the rain forest, blue air rises up. My only complaint is that minimum wage in Australis is 15, and their dollar is equivilent so everything is at least twice as expensive. Andri said Swiss money (they refuse to join the EU, they are neutral) is equal and his min. wage is 23.00!

Yesterday I went to the world famous Bondi beach. One of the most popular beaches in the world. The weather has been perfect throughout my stay in Sydney.

Today I am going to the Sydney Aquarium and going to explore Darling Harbor. I think that I'll also run around a nice park close to my hostel. I leave tomorrow morning for Fiji, where I don't think there is internet.

I feel so weird for a twenty year old. I don't go out and get wasted at all in college because I got that out of the way in high school. I eat only healthy food, I always get enough sleep, and I try to exercise every day. I was reading about Fair Trade and other 1st world exploitations of 3rd world countries last night and I want to try and change some of my habits. I think it is crucial to be educated and informed on issues like this. Some of my actions manifest the inequalities, I know about. And some downright contradict it. Can't win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment