Sunday, March 21, 2010

Friday morning I got a text message from my friend Simon Blue. He has already graduated and is a pharmacist now. His license plate says "DrugDr." Simon is an awesome guy and comes from a really wealthy family. He offered to drive up to Queenstown for the night and show Paige and I around the town. We accepted the offer and he picked us up at four in the evening.

The drive up was a little bit crazy because his car has turbo and we wanted to get there in a timely fashion. The curves are pretty intense all the way up. Queenstown is one of the more famous places in New Zealand. It is where all of the skydiving, bungyjumping and other extremities take palce. We stayed at hostel right on main street. Our room had 8 bunks, and 9 people. We hung out with the couple that was sharing a bunk for a little bit: The guy was from Argentina and his girlfriend from Spain. They were really nice and had been staying at the hostel for three weeks while living off a workers visa. Simon, Paige, and I had a reservation at an ice bar at eleven.

I'd never experienced anything like the ice bar before. Cups, tables, chairs all made of ice. We got to shatter them at the end. Our bar tender was a really pretty girl from England and she let us break a bunch of rules in the bar. It was -10C and we were required to wear huge coats, gloves, and pick everything up with two hands.

Later in the night I met a girl who lived in Oregon and was about to attend Law school. It is ridiculous how small this world is. Paige met a guy that sounded like he had fled America for legal reasons but lived in Aspen where her brother lives. Small world again.

I lost my cell phone that night and won't have one for the rest of the trip. I cannot afford to buy one. I already know I am going to go broke. Traveling and eating are killing me. Once you have paid for transportation, food and accommodation you are a few hundred dollars in. Then you factor in doing any activity...yikes. This is a once in a lifetime trip so I am not going to hold back on anything.

I was on the top bunk and didn't sleep a single second. Heat rises and the ceiling was cooking. I cannot crash unless it is cool in my room.

We woke up the next morning and had breakfast right on the Lake. After debating on taking a steam ship around Queenstown harbor, we decided on going to the top of a peak and luging.

I crashed a few times really hard into a wall and had to ice my legs and lay in bed the next day. It was well worth it. Always is. There is no way I can put into words the view from the top of the peak. You will have to check out the pictures I have posted.

This is the first time I am feeling homesick. I already know what the reasons are, and I am just trying to remain busy and distracted. Spring break is going on at home and that is my favorite time of year to be with my friends. My birthday is in a week. My mom and Steve's the following two days. The NCAA tournament is heating up and I am usually with my Dad and buddies breathing basketball for a week. I gotta stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment